Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Gardenias and Mosquitoes

One sure sign mosquitoes are getting bad? They start creeping into your photos. 

It seems that Asian tiger mosquitoes like gardenias, too.
Gardenias and mosquitoes tend to come out at about the same time in our garden, prompted by warm, humid nights. I'm still adapting to the sudden jump to mid-90s summer temperatures. But the fragrant gardenias are a compensation. The gardenia pictured above is Kleim's Hardy, hardy to zone 7 and the earliest to bloom in our garden.

8 comments :

Donna said...

lovely blooms and one nasty mosquito...ours are out too and they can be as big as bees...

Karin / Southern Meadows said...

LOL! Oh how I dislike mosquitoes but they love me!

Sheila Read said...

Mosquitoes love me, too. Much more than they like my husband!

Ginny said...

What a gorgeous bloom! You can't blame the mosquito for hanging on to it :)

Sheila Read said...

Ginny, I'd be hovering by the bloom, too, if it weren't for the mosquitoes :)

Carolyn @ Carolyn's Shade Gardens said...

We have suddenly had a bumper crop of mosquitoes too but no gardenias to compensate :-(.

One said...

What a fantastic capture! They don't bother me as much as others. Thank goodness. :)

Anonymous said...

I have a beautiful gardenia which seems to ATTRACT mosquitos ?? Is this possible ?