Saturday, April 23, 2011

Cardinal Nestlings, Two Days Older

The cardinal nestlings have changed noticeably in two days. I wasn't able to photograph them yesterday because it was chilly and rainy. Every time I looked, Mama Cardinal was on the nest, presumably keeping the babies warm. Today, the babies are darker and don't look quite so naked (see earlier photo). Still, they have a ways to go before they look like cardinals!

Baby cardinals nestle, with two on the bottom and a third in between and on top. 

Babies huddle quietly in between short bouts of peeping with mouths open wide.

3 comments :

The Sage Butterfly said...

Ah-h...I have never seen this view. They are so small. Thanks for sharing.

Donna said...

how absolutely adorable...these special times with nature so warm my soul...

Sheila said...

Hi Sage and Donna, thanks for your messages. Yes, these little birds are giving me much joy. Their peeping is getting quite loud. Stay tuned for more photos!