Thursday, December 8, 2011

Pine Tree Praise

Father Brian Pierce spent years working with the Lenca Indians in the mountains of Western Honduras. One year he participated in a ritual in which the Indians, carrying pine boughs, processed through the mountains singing. They arrived at a church decked with pine boughs.

Father Brian, filled with curiosity, asked the shaman about the significance of the pine boughs. The shaman's eyes became wide and he said, "You mean you don't know?"




"If you listen long enough at the foot of a pine tree, you'll hear the pine tree singing to God."

5 comments :

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

what a beautiful story!!

HolleyGarden said...

I live surrounded by pine trees. Sometimes I do think I can hear them singing.

Beth at PlantPostings said...

That is a beautiful story. The sound, look, and smell of pine trees are so calming.

Karin / Southern Meadows said...

Such a nice story! My son just read a story for school about a magic cap that allowed a man to hear nature speak. At the end he saved a tree from dying from human's greed.

Sheila said...

Glad you all liked the story as much as I do! I sat yesterday at the foot of a pine tree in the woods. I don't think I heard it singing but I felt still. Sometimes, though, trees tell me things - mostly about patience and accepting what comes and growing quietly and lifting our branches in praise. I do so want to hear their music.