Friday, June 3, 2011

Zebra Swallowtail Butterfly

Perhaps my favorite native perennial is Asclepias tuberosa. In summer it's covered with tiny, beautiful bright orange blossoms, and is a magnet to butterflies. Hence the common name, butterfly weed. It grows in part sun in the worst clay soil on the property without any care. This year I was delighted to see it attracted a butterfly I'd never seen before - the zebra swallowtail




To see other interesting creatures, check out the Friday Creature Feature at Garden Adventures.

6 comments :

Karin / Southern Meadows said...

Beautiful! I saw the zebra swallowtail for the first time in my garden in April. I was so excited but I haven't seen it again since. Do you see them regularly in your garden? Do you have any pawpaw trees close by?

Jean Campbell said...

Good shots of the Zebra! We see zebras here, my fav. The host plant is here is a wild longleaf Pawpaw shrub that doesn't grow very tall at all.

Grower Jim said...

Great photos! You're invited to add your link to my Friday Creature Feature (held on the First Friday of every month).

Sheila Read said...

Karin, This was the first time (and only) time I've seen one. I hope it becomes a regular visitor. It is a beauty! No, we don't have any pawpaw trees nearby that I know of, but there are lots of trees in the area ...

NellJean, I'm going to have to keep an eye out for pawpaws ... They're supposed to be native in this area, but I've never seen one that I know of.

Thanks, Grower Jim! This is the first I've heard of your Friday Creature Feature, so I'll have to check it out.

Donna said...

Beautiful butterfly...love to see one in the garden too...

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful butterfly and a nice capture. Never had one here in Niagara Falls, but wish I did.